Sunday 16 May 2010

Seven reasons why I'm not buying an iPad yet

Don't get me wrong I really want an Apple iPad, but here are a list of seven reasons why I won't be buying one yet.






1. Price - its £429 for the basic wifi model and £529 for the basic 3g+wifi model. I don't have that sort of spare cash, plus it means I'm going to be more worried about carrying it around, and have to pay for expensive insurance.

2. No printing - there is an app that does it in a convoluted way, but no built in printing facility is poor, come on Apple! Either wirelessely or via USB would be nice. For example if I purchase tickets online I have to go to my laptop to print them out, come on!

3. No USB or SD Card reader - so I can't plug in my camera. Even the most basic netbooks let me do this, if I'm paying that price, I want to be able to use it to download my pictures to it!

4. No front facing camera - I'm fine with no rear camera - it's too big to be a camera, I get it. But this is the ideal device for video chats, even basic netbooks do this!

5. No iPhone OS 4 yet - we've got to wait until later in the year, longer than for the iPhone. So I'd personally rather wait so I can have multitasking and a better experience overall.

6. Weak wifi - it drives me nuts when my iPhone refuses to join a network that is clearly there. If the iPad wifi issues are true and therefore worse than that, then I don't think I could cope. At least wait until Apple has put out a software fix for this.

7. Price likely to go down? - with such a high price point I'm willing to bet this is going to be reduced some months after release.

Conclusion

Mark II will be better - I kept away from the iPhone until they did it right (with the 3GS) I think I may wait here - at least until the price is reduced to a level where I can accept its limitations.

However, no flash, is not putting me off. The usability, performance and power consumption arguments are compelling. Sites should degrade gracefully to non-flash, so I can live without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment