Wednesday 29 September 2010

Really good builder

I needed the lead flashing done around my chimney. I gave myhammer (http://www.myhammer.co.uk/) a go and had mixed results. I didn't know fully what I needed doing, so maybe a was a bit vague in the job description. But whilst I got good information from the respondents, the quotes were a bit high.

Quotes ranged between £1000 and £2000 (based on my entered budget of £2000). One respondent visited to see what needed doing. They seemed to know what they were talking about, explained to me what needed doing - and that the lead might need replacing. I got two quotes from them; £780 to fix, and £1070 if the lead needed replacing (including £400 for scaffolding).

I wasn't hugely happy with the quotes. I contacted the company that did my cladding (Alpine Cladding http://www.alpinecladding.co.uk) who did a great job, and asked whether they would quote. They recommended a guy that works with their company. He came round and quoted £100 to fix and £170 if the lead needs replacing!

I accepted, they did a fantastic job, and also sorted out some of my pointing that had come off. It only required fixing as the lead was all intact, so it cost me £100. They did a fantastic job, I couldn't recommend them higher.

What I want to know is how did those others quote so much, if this company could do it for £100 with a profit, how were the my hammer quotes asking for £780+. This company wanted £70 for new lead, one of the myhammer quotes was going to charge £300!

No comments:

Post a Comment