Tuesday 28 December 2010

Ripping DVDs to iPad

Trying to rip a DVD in Handbrake, on Mac, so I can put on my iPad, I did it with the default settings, and when I transferred across via VLC it was playing at a choppy framerate. Via trial and error, creating single chapter encodings I thought I'd cracked it. Sadly when I did the whole movie it was still choppy, and freezing, when played on VLC on the iPad, even though it played fine on the Mac.

So I tried transferring it via iTunes, and it works perfectly. This is a shame regarding VLC's playback, I hope they sort it out.

The settings that I chose which seem pretty good are;
- Choose the Universal Apple preset
- choose the framerate as 25 fps
- keep the quality at about 60%
- From the audio tab, remove the AC3 track
- If the movie has subtitles remember to choose the subtitle track and burn it in
- On advanced set the settings as in the following picture;






For 1 hour 42 minute film this created a video of 1.22 GB.

Note that whilst ripping the DVD the status at the bottom has a fps value. This has no relation to the Framerate that you preselect, so I am pretty sure that this is the number of frames being processed per second when encoding the DVD.






I got the settings from here.

Remember to create a new preset with the settings.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:UK, Shoeburyness

No comments:

Post a Comment