Tuesday 5 June 2012

Backup Strategy


I've sadly run out of disk space, and so my back up strategy is no longer working, and so I need to make changes in order to free up space and get my back ups happening again. Below are details of my current strategy, and my requirements for the backups, over the next few months I intend to sort this out, and will post the results either here on kevingordon.org.uk.

Backup strategy

1) Time capsule to backup MacBook Pro, 1 Terrabyte, 340 Gig available.
2) iCloud to backup iPhone and iPad, 25 Gig total, 9.7 Gig available.
3) Media backed up manually to two external 1 Terrabyte hard drives.
4) Photo stream backing up photos to MBP and iCloud

It worked but now have a few problems

1) MBP has only 7.3 Gig free from 320 Gig
2) Videos on iPhone and iPad currently not being backed up
3) iPhone has 14.2 Gig of photos and videos that I can’t transfer to MBP as there is not enough space, and I’m running out of space on the iPhone
4) No automated backup of media to the two external hard drives, I manually copy new media to each of the hard drives

Requirements

1) Free up 100+ Gig on the MBP
2) Have the photo and video library accessible via iPhoto on the MBP
3) Have an automated way of adding new media to both external hard drives
4) Possibly use DropBox to backup remotely (I have a free DropBox account)
5) Have an external backup solution to mirror personal documents and media located maybe at my parents house

Usage of the MBP hard drive and iPhone

1) iPhone 32 Gig, 567 MB available 5.5 GB Music, 1.1 GB Video App, 14.2 GB
2) 251 Gig - My user account; 55.7 Gig Music; 66.7 Gig library (56.2 Gig iPhone and iPad backups), 96.1 Gig Photos/Videos

No comments:

Post a Comment