Saturday 29 October 2011

Anki for learning stuff

Anki is one of the best apps I've ever bought. I'm using it to learn German vocab, but it can be used to learn any kind of set of facts and any other languages.

What it gives you is flash cards, and once flipped you need to answer when you should be tested on that card again. Soon mrans you don't know it or got it wrong, then it will say in 1, 2, 3 days or more. As you learn the facts/words you can get them repeated further and further in the future.










It's also very easy to add new cards/facts.






Note there is a central repository of sets of cards that people have added on all different subjects, which you can easily download.

Over time you will be tested on cards as they are repeated after an appropriate duration, and you can customise how many new cards you get per day.

There is an app for iPad and iPhone and a website, all the cards and sets of cards are stored on the website and sync with your devices. The app is quite expensive - about £16 but it is absolutely brilliant, the website is free.

I'm using it for vocabulary building and it's really working. The important thing is that you do it little and often - so I have a recurring task every day to spend at least 10 minutes testing myself on those cards for the day.

Only problem is when I went on holiday I ended up with a backlog of 100-200+ cards to test for each set. To avoid this, before taking a break, you could turn down the number of new cards per day to zero.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment